Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Women's Health
Question: i had a c section in september and have been having a lot of pain across the c section area and i have been to my ob doctor and he keeps saying its healed and that i should have went a way but i also have knots across the area and when i eat to much or just eat a little bit of bread i get a sick feeling and i have pain in my stomach and it goes in to my back nd it dose not go away unless i put a heating pad on my stomach
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This might be a sign of a hernia at the incision site

Detailed Answer:
While your doctor can look at the incision and state that its healed, this does not address the problems that you are experiencing. The two most likely explanations of your complaint would be related to:

1. Adhesions related to the C-section
2. A hernia at the incision site

Given the strong association of the pain with eating, I would favor a hernia. Adhesions can cause problems with the bowel as well, especially if they are restricting the bowel and perhaps even 'kinking' it at certain points.

The way that this could be evaluated would include imaging studies:

1. A CT scan is not a bad way to start. It would potentially identify a hernia at the incision site but adhesions would be hard to see.
2. A bowel study using contrast would show the way that your bowels are handling things taken by mouth

I would recommend that you consider asking your doctor for a referral to a General Surgeon to further evaluate.

Does this help?
Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 15 minutes later
okay thank you and yes at time i have problems with bowel movements it sometimes hurts to go or cant go for a couple of day or sometimes it can be a week i have told doctors in indiana where i live but they just keep giving me medicines that seem not to work
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This all started after a surgery

Detailed Answer:
So, it seems that something changed related to the surgery. They can't just keep throwing pills at the problem without performing some sort of imaging. You could either start with a General Surgeon or a GI doctor. You could also call the OB/GYN who did the C-section and state that you are concerned about a hernia or adhesions and see if they would order a CT scan.

Dr. Tim