Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

183 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain

Answered by
Dr. Timothy Raichle


Practicing since :1999

Answered : 1681 Questions

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Women's Health
Question: i had a c section in september and have been having a lot of pain across the c section area and i have been to my ob doctor and he keeps saying its healed and that i should have went a way but i also have knots across the area and when i eat to much or just eat a little bit of bread i get a sick feeling and i have pain in my stomach and it goes in to my back nd it dose not go away unless i put a heating pad on my stomach
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This might be a sign of a hernia at the incision site

Detailed Answer:
While your doctor can look at the incision and state that its healed, this does not address the problems that you are experiencing. The two most likely explanations of your complaint would be related to:

1. Adhesions related to the C-section
2. A hernia at the incision site

Given the strong association of the pain with eating, I would favor a hernia. Adhesions can cause problems with the bowel as well, especially if they are restricting the bowel and perhaps even 'kinking' it at certain points.

The way that this could be evaluated would include imaging studies:

1. A CT scan is not a bad way to start. It would potentially identify a hernia at the incision site but adhesions would be hard to see.
2. A bowel study using contrast would show the way that your bowels are handling things taken by mouth

I would recommend that you consider asking your doctor for a referral to a General Surgeon to further evaluate.

Does this help?
Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 15 minutes later
okay thank you and yes at time i have problems with bowel movements it sometimes hurts to go or cant go for a couple of day or sometimes it can be a week i have told doctors in indiana where i live but they just keep giving me medicines that seem not to work
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This all started after a surgery

Detailed Answer:
So, it seems that something changed related to the surgery. They can't just keep throwing pills at the problem without performing some sort of imaging. You could either start with a General Surgeon or a GI doctor. You could also call the OB/GYN who did the C-section and state that you are concerned about a hernia or adhesions and see if they would order a CT scan.

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some organs or the muscles where may be some inflammation. I have taken X-ray , gone through CT-Scan and Lever test and as per the direction of a hospital but they could not find out anything wrong. I am 53 year old.