Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for seizures caused by withdrawing previous medications

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5556 Questions
I am having seizures since I had an abrubt halt in previous medications. I was taking Valium, Abilify, Neurontin, Trazadone and 2 OTC sleep aids. Now I am on Neurontin, Geodon (ceased Monday), Klonapin (ceased Monday again by ER doc, Celexa, Restoril and Congentin. I have n/v, slurring of speech, chewing, left side of face droops during seizure, burning and tingling in arms, staring and jerking movements. Low grade fever 99.4. Frequent uriniation, but normal Urine. Chest x ray clear. CT scan clear. Bloodwork normal.
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Seizures are related to drug withdrawal Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your complaints and the current medication list. The seizures in your case are related to sudden medication withdrawal. Therefore, you need anti-seizure medications for shorter duration. The current medications seem to be fine. If seizures persist, you may get MRI brain and EEG tests done to rule out other causes of seizures and epilepsy. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor