Suggest treatment for sebaceous cyst

Posted on Sat, 25 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,

I had hair ingrowth on my back 4 years back which led to infection. It was then removed by the doctor. However I am feeling a lump in the same area and the size of it keeps on changing a little, sometimes it gets small sometimes it increases. There is no pain in it however it gives me some discomfort. Kindly advise the doctor I can consult to.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern

A lump at previously operated site on back could be either a hypertrophic scar or it could have been a sebaceous cyst right from the begining which had become infected at that time and was subsequently incompletely excised and hence recurred thereafter. Incomplete excision of a sebaceous cyst is the most common cause of a persisting or recurring lump. Therefore if it is a sebaceous cyst it needs to be excised again completely i.e alongwith the cyst wall in order to prevent recrrence.
I request you to kindly upload an image of the lump so that i am able to guide you better. You may upload an image either at "Reports Section" Or you may mail me an image at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line of the mail as Attention:Dr.kakkar.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
I went to a general surgeon and he diagnosed the lump as "pilonidal sinus with cyst" and suggested a minor surgery. Is there any other alternate medication.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is the only definitve treatment for pilonidal sinus

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Antibiotics would bring down pain and swelling but this may be temporary as it may flare up again in future. Therefore, particularly in those cases who have repeated bouts of inflammation i.e pain, swelling of pilonidal cyst, the only definitive treatment is surgical wherein the sinus tract and cyst are dissected out with a minor surgery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist