Suggest treatment for scabies

Dr. Shahid Hassan

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: From what I am reading I think I may have scabies, have not idea how I got it. I am severly allergenic asthamic and have not had sex in some time. I itch until I am crazy. Used calamine lotlion and benydril with no luck.
Not crusted...just small little bite areas. How can I get rid of them
Answered by Dr. Shahid Hassan 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
upload photograph

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic,

Scabies is caused by infestation of mite and is highly contagious.
Treatment includes oral and topical scabicidal drugs.
Over-the-counter remedies are not effective in eliminating scabies. OTC drugs can only subside the symptoms for a time being only.

There is a feature to upload the image by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may utilize that. Alternatively, you can mail it to YYYY@YYYY with subject line as "ATTN: Dr. Shahid Hassan". I will review the photograph and get back to you.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Shahid Hassan 6 hours later
uploaded picture, but it is not a very good one. I have scratched all day until I am crazy
Answered by Dr. Shahid Hassan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Picture not clear

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome again,

Although picture is not very clear, there is urticarial wheals are also visible. two red lesion is seen which is not of scabies.

In scabies site is also specific. papules are seen in web space of finger, wrist, ulnar border(i.e. inner side of forearm and arm), genitalia and abdomen.

You need to undergo clinical examination to confirm or rule out scabies.

In the mean time you can take Levocetrizine, can apply calamine lotion with camphor and menthol mixed preparation.

Short course of topical steroid would help subsiding the lesion fast but before this scabies should be ruled out.

Hope this will help you.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad