Suggest treatment for redness and itching on the body while having diabetes
We occasionally use borax in our wash and we suspected it might be that, but the skin inflammation was all over, not just where his clothes were in contact with his skin.
Benedryl helped relieve the symptoms, but is still experiencing XXXXXXX swelling in his hands and feet.
He is 17 years old and very active in sports.
Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
Also, my son is type 1 diabetic on Humalog
continued use of the antihistamines, cold compress
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
From your description, as you mentioned, the symptoms are in keeping with an allergic reaction.
The main treatment of an acute allergic reaction would be the use of anti histamines and removal of the source if it is known.
In more severe reactions or where there is limited response, steroids or meds such as epinephrine are used.
Steroids would affect his blood sugar somewhat and would only be used if necessary, the epineprhine is used in very severe reactions.
For him, the main treatment at this stage would be the consistent use of an antihistamine, in this case benadryl over a 24 to 48 hour period (may be able to stop early if symptoms resolve).
Benadryl can be used every 4 to 6 hours, 1 to 2 tablets, he should take it within these time frames til there is improvement.
Cold compress or cloth to the hands and feet would also help with the swelling
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Has juvenile diabetes suggest treatment and medicine
- Suggest alternative medications for treatment of diabete
- Red balls itch and diabetes
- Suggest treatment for type 2 diabetes
- Diabetic itching all over body chronic condition treatment options
- Diabetes and red blotches on body
- Suggest treatment for uncontrolled diabetes
- Having diabetes suggest medicine dosage and duration of treatment
- Diabetes had a stroke paralyzed on dialysis suggest treatments
- Suggest treatment for disturbed sleep when on diabetes medication