Suggest treatment for pulmonary embolism and chest pain

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Fri, 2 Jan 2015 in Veins and Arteries
Question: Hi I am a 34 year old female who recently suffered a pulmonary embolism. Currently experiencing occasional chest pain on my right side. Sometimes I feel it after I have eaten, I'm lying in bed, or when I bend over to pick something up. I have been a smoker for the past five years and I was wonder if I should get a ct scan to check for blood clots or lung cancer. I don't have shortness of breath or a cough.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
see your doctor

Detailed Answer:
It depends upon when you had the pulmonary embolism (PE) If the embolism was large it is normal to have some residual chest pain and discomfort until your body reabsorbs the clot. They probably did a CT scan to diagnose the PE, but if it has been a while you may need another one to make sure that it is not enlarging. Usually when a new PE develops you have quite a bit of shortness of breath and cough so it is good that you do not have those things at present. A PE is a very serious diagnosis so if you are uncomfortable with your current symptoms please see a doctor as soon as possible. Go to emergency department if you develop any shortness of breath.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D