Suggest treatment for pityriasis in children

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hello, my 3 year old son has a discoloration right above his upper lip. We took his pacifier away from him 3 weeks ago because we thought thats what was causing it. (He only used his pacifier at nap and bedtime). The place above his lip is much lighter than his complexion and sometimes has a chapped look to it, so i have been putting chap stick on it, it does not seem to be getting any better, any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely Pityriasis XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I have gone through your question and the image attached. The symptoms and lesion's appearance are most likely due to a skin condition known as pityriasis XXXXXXX Pityriasis XXXXXXX is a common skin disorder in children and young adults. It is characterized by the presence of ill-defined, scaly, faintly erythematous patches. These lesions eventually subside, leaving hypopigmented areas that then slowly return to normal pigmentation.

To confirm the diagnosis and rule out other skin conditions like vitiligo and fungal infections, I would recommend you to visit a dermatologist. They will examine him under a special equipment known as wood's lamp for definitive diagnosis. Treatment depends on the definitive diagnosis.

Pityriasis XXXXXXX is usually a self limiting condition and resolve without any intervention. Sometimes mild steroids local application like Desowen is advised.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.