Suggest treatment for persistent vaginal itching

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I am 63 and have had a persistent problem with vaginal itching for several years now. I tried Premarin but it is very expensive and it doesn't seem to be internal itching. I get "ants in the pants" all the time now and it is very embarassing. I have been using Corizone10 and it aleviates but I can't alway stop and put some on. I just want to feel normal again.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to vaginal dryness.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
At your age the common cause of vaginal itching is decreased levels of estrogen. If premarin is not helping then it can be elated to decreased levels of Vitamin B12 or a mild nerve root compression at the level of sacral spine. Keeping the area moisturized with peanut butter will also help. You can also start taking methylcobalamin supplements and see if it helps.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
What is methylobalamin supplements? Can I get them over the counter or do I need a prescription?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is available over the counter.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can get methylcobalamin supplements over the counter. You can use the oral dispersible tablets for a better effect.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.