Suggest treatment for persistent pain in the throat and cough

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I have a pain in my throat and a persistent cough. It's painful when I swallow or yawn. I was at my doctors today and she couldn't pinpoint what it was and she said that if it persists I should go to an ENT. Can you please help? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably suffering from inflammation in throat and respiratory tract

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query on health care magic.

Looking at your symptoms you are probably suffering from inflammation in the throat and respiratory tract.

You may find relief by taking the following medicines:
Antihistaminic like Claritin(loratidine)
Analgesic and anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen,
Antacid like Rantac,
Cough syrup containing Expectorant like Ambroxol and bronchodilator like Salbutamol,
Vitamin C lozenges.

Also do warm saline gargles. Do steam inhalation. Drink lots of fluids (warm) as they help in break down of mucus secretions. Avoid cold, very sweet, oily food, milk and milk products as they increase mucus production. Also avoid very hot and spicy food as they will cause irritation in the inflamed throat. Avoid dust, smoke and other pollutants.Warm turmeric milk will also help as turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties.

After taking the above measures,if your symptoms are not improving after around three days,or if you suffer from symptoms like High grade fever(more than 101 degree fahrenheit), whitish/pus discharge covering the back of your throat,yellow coloured sputum containing pus,etc suggestive of a bacterial infection, then it would be advisable to start oral Antibiotics like Amoxycillin-Clavulanic acid combination antibiotic.

Hope this answers your question. I would be happy to answer you if you have any follow-up questions. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy