Suggest treatment for persistent headaches

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My son is 39 and has suffered with cluster headaches since late teens. He found initially that oxygen helped reduce the symptoms. He feels that most doctors don't know what to do and he now relies on the internet and on line support for suggestions of what to do. Recent: worst exacerbation of headaches. Went 1 1/2 years without any before this exacerbation, which he says is the worst ever. Any suggestions of practitioners doing research or having better suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Zolmitriptan/Sumatriptan nasal sprays.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX palko,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Oxygen therapy if used correctly works well in attacks of cluster headache. 100% oxygen at 10-12 L/min for 15-20 minutes should work. Further, Sumatriptan and Zolmitriptan nasal sprays can be effective in aborting the headache episode, which are easy to use as well.

Verapamil and Lithium can be used for prevention of attacks.

Hope that helps.If you need any specific information,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)