Suggest treatment for persistent headaches

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Daily headaches. Severe in the front of my head
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Headache management

Detailed Answer:
HI XXXX, thanks for asking from HealthcareMagic

I can understand your concern. The headache in frontal region can be due to various reasons like

- Tension headache - this headache is one of the most common type of headache. It is associated with dull pain, sometimes pulsatile, gives band like sensation around forehead, no vomiting, less responsive to medication, occurs for long time.

- Sinusitis - Frontal air sinus infection can cause such type of headache. It is associated with heaviness, burning in eyes, nasal discharge and stuffiness, more pain during daytime, some relief in warm environment. It is commoner in allergic patients.

- Mass lesion in brain - Mass lesion in frontal lobe of brain can cause such type of headache. Usually raised intracranial pressure leads to headache. It is also associated with vomiting, blurred vision, morning headache.

- Eye disease - Any eye disease like refractive error, glaucoma can cause frontal headache.

I don't have much history of your complaints. You can correlate your headache with above mentioned features. Accordingly, you can consult the doctor. For evaluation of headache, you need few investigations

- Ct or MRI brain - It will rule out sinusitis, mass lesion in brain, any vascular illness. It is also done to screen the headache.

- Visual acuity and intraoccqular pressure - It will rule out eye illness.

After ruling out the causes, final diagnosis can be made. Treatment will depend upon the diagnosis. For pain relief, you can follow few tips

- Tablet Acetaminophen
- Combination of tablet diclofenac with paracetamol
- Head massage
- Bed rest. Avoid bright light. Avoid lack of sleep

It will give you some relief. After investigations, you can tell me the findings and I ll help you in reaching the diagnosis.

hope it will help you. Thanks. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng