• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent diarrhea

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Diarrhea for four days. Try immodium it worked for 24 hours, and I was solid again but the diarrhea came back yesterday (Friday) PM.i work outside physically and it was very humid and moderately hot yesterday. I think I over heated a few times but, drank lots of water and Gatorade. I think if I take it easy this weekend it might help, but what do you think so far? My name is XXXXXXX I also have headaches and stomach aches after taking the otc med. To battle these symptoms I've been taking Advil.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
suffering from enteritis headache is due to electrolyte imbalance.

Detailed Answer:
Firstly thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic.

Most likely you are having gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis is inflammation of gastric mucosa.Most commonly its viral.Viral gastroenteritis usually limits itself in 8-10 days.Intially i would avice you to go for stool routine and microscopy test to rule out to rule out Bacterial or Protozoal infection.As therapy with antibiotic has to be taken if its bacterial or protozoal enteritis.
Apart from imodium(Looeramide), I would suggest you to take a probiotic twice daily.It repletes the disturbed gastric flora hence making digestion better.The intestinal microflora is a complex ecosystem containing over 400 bacterial species. Anaerobes outnumber facultative anaerobes. The flora is sparse in the stomach and upper intestine, but luxuriant in the lower bowel.The intestinal flora is capable of fermenting indigestible carbohydrates (dietary fiber) to short-chain fatty acids such as acetate, propionate, and butyrate. The major source of such fermentable carbohydrate in the human colon is plant cell wall polysaccharides such as pectins, cellulose, and hemicellulose. The acids produced from these fiber substrates by bacteria can be an important energy source for the host.
The gut flora helps to neutralise some of the toxic by-products of digestion, reduce harmful substances (such as toxins and carcinogens), and discourage 'bad' bacteria and yeasts. It also helps to stimulate the digestive process and aid the absorption of nutrients, as well as producing vitamins including B and K.
So any problem with this flora causes symptoms like gastric pain,burping,poor digestion etc.
Apart from that isaphghullu husk(Metamucil) should be taken twice daily.It will increase bulk of stool and bowels normal.
An antispasmodic like dicyclomine can be taken to decrease spasmodic pain.
General precautions-
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Avoid meat.
Try boiled food(Vegetables) with spices and herbs for a week.
Drink plenty of orange juice and coconut water.
keep yourself hydrated andtake lots of electral solution.

Follow up with reports of stool test.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist