Suggest treatment for pain in the thigh due to constipation

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My daughter is in a lot of pain because she cannot have a bowel movement. She says it feels like it is cutting her when she tries to go. Also experiencing pain in her thighs. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear about this. The pain may be to something hard in her stool such as nuts, or it may be that the stool is stretching her anus which can cause small tears (which usually heal quickly) and feeling of sharp pain.

There are a couple of options: if it has not been a long time since her last movement (within 3-4 days), she can try an over the counter stool softener and try again tomorrow.

If she is currently in a lot of pain, even when she is not trying to move her bowels, she can go in to the urgent care clinic (or ER if urgent care is not open) where a doctor can do a manual disimpaction. This is done by inserting a gloved finger.