Suggest treatment for pain in legs, knees and back

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
I am 82 yrs of age and have been in good health and keep my mind active but I am having pains in my legs and knees and into my back. I become very tired and get a funny feeling in my head and I also walk like I have had two too many and I don't drink?
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly bone pains with anemia.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Looking at the history, I am of the following opinion:
1. The pain in legs and back is due to reduced bone density, specifically calcium deficiency and knees could be due to osteoarthritis.
2. Tiredness and slight giddy feeling is possibly secondary to anemia.

Malnutrition could be the reason for both except the knee pain.

Laboratory tests needed:
Complete blood counts/hemogram is necessary to evaluate anemia. Also need to check for ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and calcium levels in blood.
If possible, bone mineral density test required to diagnose "Osteoporosis".

Treatment necessary:
Try to improve nutrition by taking a balanced diet - Non vegetarian will be better (you can take vit D, calcium, iron and B complex vitamin supplements, which are available in market).

You can take NSAIDs painkillers, if pain is severe, specifically in nights.

Try to improve muscle strength of leg and back through passive and weight strengthening to improve bone density and reduce the risk of fracture.

Avoid falls as it can lead to fracture easily. Move around slowly as body would take more time to adjust to the various balances. Avoid rapid movements at this age. If necessary use a walking stick.

Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM