Suggest treatment for pain below the rib cage

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: pain below my rib cage (left side) when i cough
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely Lower respiratory tract infection is cause of pain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking your query on HealthcareMagic.

A lower respiratory tract infection can cause pains in your ribs when you cough. There are muscles between ribs called your intercostal muscles that are accessory muscles with breathing, and are also involved with coughing.Excessive use of intercostal muscles during coughing can lead to pain.However as you have not mentioned the duration of coughing and any other symptom it can be pleurisy also, Pleurisy is irritation of the lining of the lung that is usually caused by a viral infection.Hard coughing may also cause pain in the muscles and chest wall.
Initially i would suggest you to take a anti inflammatory analgesic like Diclofenac 100mg slow release for 3 days,However if pain does not respond to it then X ray Chest PA view should be done to rule out Pleurisy.

In case you have any other query feel free to ask.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad