Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the left jaw

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I have a painful swelling on left jaw line especially after eating tangy/sour foods. salivary gland obstruction?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, most probably

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/61 - painful swelling on left jawline - after eating tangy/sour foods - ? salivary gland obstruction ...
You are certainly very right, the swelling on jaw line increasing with tangy/sour foods occurs due to obstruction to the duct of the submandibular salivary gland.
The commonest cause is a stone impacted in the duct, others being stricture and so.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Clinical examination - bi-manual palpation; helps in finding the cause.
X-ray and ultrasonography of the area can give the diagnosis but CT scan is the best for a proper diagnosis about the stone, condition of the gland, lymph nodes etc.
Get the correct diagnosis for plan of management.
I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad