Suggest treatment for pain and constant ringing in ears

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 7 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello
I have an ear infection which lead to a perforated ear drum. This is my first major ear infection. Im in extruciating pain. I have 0 hearing except a a constant ringing... as well as a sound i can only relate to the candy "pop rocks" every so often. Yesterday my ear went completely silent. No ringing. No pop rocks. I am on amoxiclin and tobradex drops. Its now been 15 days since first pain and 8 days medicated. Recently the inside of my ear has been itching uncontrollably....and i mean uncontrollably! Along with that i seem to lose focus quickly, my eyes wont settle and begin to feel nauseous. Vertigo like symptoms.
Between the pain, the itching and the vertigo. ...what should i do?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may be resistant to medication, need alternative if no change after 3 days

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Normally improvement (though not complete resolution) is expected by at least day 3 of treatment.

Since you started treatment 8 days ago, you should be having some reduction in symptoms if the medication was working.
If no change is seen by day 3, treatment is normally reviewed by the doctor and the medication may need to be changed.

There is increasing resistance of bacteria to antibiotics and this may be the case for you.

It would be best to go back to your doctor for a review and a possible change in medication.

Pain medication such as ibuprofen/naproxen or cataflam can be used for your discomforto

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
im unable to get back to the doctors until monday. but thank you! i had a feeling something wasnt right.
second question:
i used my ear drops this afternoon, i let it sit in my ear for the 2 mins they said. when i put the kleenex up to my ear to catch the access a yellowish piece of what seemed to be skin tissue came out with it... it didnt break apart like wax would. it felt like wet skin. is that something normal with a ruptured ear drum?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, can occur

Detailed Answer:
HI

Yes, this can occur with ear infections.

The discharge that would build up from the infection would be mixed with wax to cause this to form.

Please feel free to ask anything else