What causes pain in the knee while sitting or lying down?

Excellent

Question
I'm 70 and have recently been moving heavy boxes up and down stairs in the course of house moving. I now have pain on the top of my left knee around the area where the bone begins from my thigh. Pain is moderate and dissipates when sitting or laying down. Very uncomfortable climbing stairs. Icing helps but pain returns after its removal. Is there an over the counter medication I can take? Advil doesn't help much.
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PRICE-mm-- protect, rest, ice, compression, elevation, meds, modalities

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There is an acronym that is used to help with soft tissue injuries (injuries to the muscles, ligaments and associated structures) and also minor joint injuries-- P.R.I.C.E--MM.

It may be helpful for you. The first letter stands for protect from further injury and the second letter for rest-- these go hand in hand.

You would need to, if possible, stop or reduce any activities that caused or worsened the trauma. This may not be possible since you are moving but as much as possible, the injured area needs to be rested or it will not improve despite medication.

I-- ice therapy--- an ice compress or cold compress on the area 2 to 3 times a day for 10 to 15 mins, would help as well

C- if the area is swollen, wearing a bandage may be helpful to reduce the swelling, swelling worsens the discomfort

E- elevation of the leg- again this is mainly helpful if there is swelling

MM- medication, modalities (Eg physio for persons with long term issues or where there is a very significant problem)
If the ibuprofen is not working for you, you can try voltaren or cataflam or aleve along with topical diclofenac.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions