Suggest treatment for pain above the eyebrow

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have pain above my eyebrow. A scan showed no sinus disease that would correlate to the pain. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
muscle tension

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are worried about having pain just above the eyebrow. You had a scan which did not show any sinus infection. The most likely problem then is muscle contraction of the facial muscles also known as a muscular tension headache. This would be the most likely cause. Rarely there could be something called temporal arteritis which is inflammation of the temporal artery that runs just to the outside of the eye. The inflammation will cause pain along the artery and will also make the artery tender to touch and thick and ropey. To diagnose temporal arteritis your doctor would need to exam your artery and draw labs for a sedimentation rate. If the sedimentation rate is very high then you may have temporal arteritis. I doubt that you do as you have been treated already with a course of steroids, which is the treatment for temporal arteritis, and you have not shown any improvement.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care questions and concerns
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 9 hours later
J\If this condition is temporal arteritis, what should be done to alleviate the condition?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment for Arteritis is steroids

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for returning to HCM.

The treatment for arteritis is long term steroids like prednisone.

Dr. Ronald Schubert