Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis in the knees

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 16 May 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am looking to speak to an Orthopedist. I just typed out my question. I have osteoarthritis in both knees. As of late both of my thighs have become really stiff making it almost impossible to walk. I started physical therapy and am being weaned off of steroids I used for another condition.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hot pads can decrease stiffness.

Detailed Answer:
Osteoarthritic changes are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
Weaning off of steroids can increase the inflammation but regular pain killers and physical therapy will help. You can get oral muscle relaxants prescribed to decrease the thigh stiffness.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal