• question-icon

Suggest treatment for numbness in hands and chronic swelling

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Lump
Question: I was diagnosed with planter fasiaitis(sp). First my left. After 8 months it healed. No sooner did it feel better, the right began to hurt. The swelling is chronic. Motrin is no longer effective, nothing is. It's getting close to 2 years now that I can't walk right or live my life. I wake up and my hands are numb. Physical therapy is not working. Blood work came back normal. No arthritis. I am 52 yrs. old and live like an 80 yr. old. I'm depressed. Tired of living in pain every day of my life. What else can I ask my Dr. to test me for?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please do the following and give me feedback

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/52 - planter fascitis - left took 8 months to heal - then started with right - chronic swelling - can not walk - live like 80 years - depressed - taken tons of Motrin, not effective - done physical therapy, hot/cold therapy, electro-therapy -

I can understand the pains you must be going through and have tried many things.
Please discuss the following things with your Doctor, I am giving you some solutions which work for all my patients.

Take broad based bucket or a bowl in which you can rest your both feet comfortably.
Pour in a water till it fills up to 8 inches. Remove the feet and start adding common salt to the water. Go on adding till you can see the salt not being able to dissolve. This makes it supersaturated solution.
Once this saturated solution is made, you have to make it warm on a stove to an extent that the back of your hand can tolerate, pour it into the bucket, test the temperature again, rest your feet in to the bucket. Keep part of the solution on the stove so that you can add warm solution to the bucket with feet. Continue for 15 minutes minimum twice daily. Do not throw away this solution as it will look dirty after some days; use the same.

You may take an additional oral steroids in the form of deflazacort/Omnacortil under the prescription of your Doctor, in tapering dosage and may take diuretics if needed as you are non-responsive to pain-killers.
Always take multivitamins as they act like anti-oxidants.

I hope this helps you as it helps many of my patients.
Please feel free to ask for more if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Wishing you an early and complete recovery.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon