Suggest treatment for numbness and tingling sensation in buttocks and feet

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi. I had a hip replacement in Aug. I started getting low back pain a few weeks after that. I am sure it is all muscle related , but then i started get awful nerve sensations in my buttocks and feet. I finally got a mri taken and just found out that that my disc by l5 and s1 is compressing my nerve most likely caused by degeneration. I went to pain mgt and had a shot in my right lower back and then 2 days later my left. I am not sure if it was an epidural or nerve block shot or are they the same? I still am still getting the nerve sensation. How long does it take for the shots to work? I am getting another set next month. thanks
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It takes weeks for significant pain relief!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this pain that you have reported. This shot usually takes several weeks for you to notice significant change. This is because the pain is mainly caused by compression and instant relief is rare. I will also like to know what medication was used because steroids might have been used and not necessarily nerve blocking agents. When steroids are used, it takes at least several weeks to reduce compression and offer significant relief. Nerve block and epidural accomplish the same goal but the difference lies in the procedure. Because it was administered to both sides of the spine, it is more likely a nerve block than an epidural. Epidurals are administered just in the middle and not on both sides.

In all, do not expect immediate full recovery but a progressive improvement. Continue with the recommended shots for next month and that will be a good time frame to evaluate the benefits of this procedure. For now, physiotherapy and pain medications should be associated to your treatment plan for better pain relief.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 22 hours later
thanks for your information. I am not sure what medications were used, but I will be sure to ask when I have my follow up on Monday. I think the shots that I am getting are leading up to a nerve burning SO you said that it may take weeks because of the compression for these shots to work. I do hope they do since I have been dealing with this for 6 or 7 weeks and it it s frustrating.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep updated!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up precision.

I understand your frustration as no one really wants to be dealing with such a pain. I will like to get more updates from you as well as the name of the drugs which were used for your treatment.

I hope to hear from you!

Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 48 hours later
Hi again. I forgot to ask my dr what meds were in those shots I got. He is going to do nerves burnings next week. will this help me? Also, is this painful? Would it be local anesthetic or should I go under? Will I be sore for awhile? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nerve burning is not very specific!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this followup.

Nerve burning is not commonly used in the medical field and am concerned that this was used for your understanding. Could you please ask what the exact medical procedure is so that I can comment more? Doing so at this time allows for personalized interpretation and may lead to information not directly linked to the intended procedure. All other question will be addressed with this added information. However, all measures are usually taken during procedures to make sure that you do not get exposed to unnecessary pains.

I hope to hear from you!
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 35 minutes later
Hi. I think this procedure is called radiofrequency where they use high frequency current through a needle to generate heat and create a small burn to the nerves responsible for sending pain signals from body to brain. They are going to go it by my L5 and SI where I have the compressed nerve. It will be done at my pain management center by Doctors. I hope this helps and you will be able to answer my previous questions. Thanks so much!!
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not painful!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the precision.

This is a helpful information. This procedure is not painful and needs no anesthesia. All will be fine and there is no need to be afraid about this. Soreness is rare and if at all will last just a couple of days.

I hope this helps. I wish you well.