Suggest treatment for nerve palsy

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 5 May 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I think I hit a nerve injecting in my arm - a strong sensation like an electric shock rushed down to my hand which is now partially paralysed.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
How many days?Nerve conduction studies?Steroids therapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

Your description,surely indicates a nerve palsy.
If it's more than 48 hours,Nerve conduction studies may be done to confirm whether it is a nerve palsy or not.
However,clinically it appears to be one.I suggest you to rush to a neurological emergency.You urgently needs a neurological examination and will probably need atleast 3-4 days of steroids therapy,preferably intravenous,followed by oral steroids and other anti-neuralgic medicines like pregabalin or amitriptyline.

Hope I have answered your query.If you have some further queries,I shall be glad to answer else,please close the thread-rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta