Suggest treatment for nail psoriasis

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi. i am suffering from psoriasis in nails for last 15 days. the doctor has prescribed in Oncotrex but not sure about side effects. I am 32 yrs, 5 feet, underweight, 39kgs, not planning a child currently and also have low standing BP. My CBC and other blood test are fine expect allergy.
My SGPT test were 25. normal is 0 to 45 as per report if this helps. thanks
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as prescribed

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since you are suffering from nail psoriasis . I completely agree with the treatment that you have been prescribed.
All your blood tests are normal and since most importantly you are not currently planning to have a baby, so you can surely go ahead and take the treatment as prescribed.
I would like to know what specific concerns you have regarding this treatment .

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 32 hours later
hi

thanks for the advice. i have started the course now.
My concerns
1. long term impact of the medicine. esp if i plan a baby next year? HOw long does it typically take to heal this>? i have it on 2 nails on each hand. and 1 nail on the feet.
2. secondly i am taking medicines for Low BP - Zevit. Lamina HP. Any side effects.

thanks
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can start treatment , don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Nail psoriasis especially over the fingers might take anything between three to six months to heal while feet nail may take longer, upto nine months.
This medicine clears up completely from the body three months after stopping the drug, so it does not cause any problems in conceiving after this period.
You can continue to take the medicines for low blood pressure . They do not interact with this drug.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari