Suggest treatment for motion sickness when suffering from Aspbergers syndrome

Pediatrician
Question
Hi.. I am a mom to a beautiful 8 y/o little boy. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with high functioning Aspbergers syndrome at age 5. He has many GI issues..But the worst is his motion sickness. He vomits profusely during even the shortest car rides even after receiving dramamine...I am feeling helpless and very sad for him...Can U offer any advice ?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
he might have sensory processing disorder.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Health Care magic.

I can understand your concerns.

I would like to know what other G I symptoms does he have?
It is quite common for children with aspergers syndrome or autism to have sensory problems. They may either be hypersensitive to hyposensitive to a particular sensory input.

Your son may have vestibular hypersensitivity. I would like to know does he avoid or does not like other activities including motion like swings or merry go rounds? Does he have any other feature of the sensory hypersensitive or hyposensitive responses?

In such case sensory integration program by an occupational therapist may be useful as it gradually desensitizes the hypersensitivity of the child.

Please get back to me with the further information.

I hope I have helped you.
Thank you
Dr. Meera Kotecha
Developmental and behavioural Peadiatrician