Suggest treatment for male pattern baldness

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, Doctor - This is regarding the Hair loss.

I am aged around 31 and My temples are visible already and hairline started receding. I think I am suffering from Male pattern baldness.
My hair looks fizzy.

Could you please advise what diet and shampoos that I need to follow to stop my hair fall and make the hair grow in receding part.

I am using the shampoo Alpecin (which claims as hair energizer) and sometimes Tresemme

Please let me know if you need any other details.

Thanks & Regards
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diet & shampoo don't have much role in male pattern baldness

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to start applying minoxidil 5 percent lotion on the affected areas. The dose is 1 ml twice daily.
Besides this I would recommend you to take tablet finasteride 1 mg once daily.
These are usually continued for 4-5 months to see any significant response and for atleast 1 year to see maximum response.
Shampoos don't have any significant role in male pattern baldness although ketoconazole 2 percent shampoo has been used in few patients.
You can continue using alpecin shampoo or tresemme shampoo.
Diet also doesn't have a role in male pattern baldness. Just take a balanced diet rich in proteins.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to clarify any further doubts.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak