Suggest medication to treat hair fall, hair thinning and breakage

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I am having a serious hair fall, also my hair are thin and prone to breakage,
Please suggest some multi vitamins or shampoo ,oil ,hair serums anything which all can control this.
my hair are falling like everytime 5-10 hair I run my fingers through and after wash and oiling its a large amount
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hair fall. Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Though it is quite normal to lose a few scalp hairs every day however shedding more than the average hair loss per day can be due to underlying factors like preceding medical illness (e.g dengue, malaria, jaundice etc) or preceding surgery, thyroid abnormalities, post partum i.e following delivery, nutritional deficiencies (like iron deficiency anemia, deficiency of micronutrients like vitamins and minerals), precipitous weight loss, dandruff/ seborrheic dermatitis, genetic factors (androgenetic alopecia) etc.

You mention that your gynecologist prescribed folic acid for your hair loss. Did you recently deliver a baby? If that is so, perhaps your hair fall is due to post partum increased hair shedding which begins approximately 1 month after delivery and may continue for up to 3-6 months.

Follow-up: Suggest medication to treat hair fall, hair thinning and breakage 32 minutes later
No my baby is 3.5 year she suggested last year for folihair tablet
Presently I have no issues or any medical history written by you

Can u suggest some milti vitamins to add in my diet as I don’t take anyth above food and milk.
Also shampoo if any u can suggest and hair oil also

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hair fall

Detailed Answer:
OK.

You may take an oral Iron supplement for 6 months. Topically you may use serums like either Redenser hair serum or Bontress hair serum, nightly applications of 2ml on scalp. Wash your hair with Anaphase shampoo, every alternate days. These are prescription products and I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same. Avoid hair oils as they have no role.

Follow-up: Suggest medication to treat hair fall, hair thinning and breakage 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the above.
I forgot to mention one thing, I have got highlights done in September
Also can u suggest any name for iron supplement and also for any multi vitamin health drink for mixing in milk?
Also one more thing the shampoo and serum suggested by you are these full of chemicals? I mean I don't want more damage as my hair become too thin in last 4-5 months. any product with less chemical for application?
one query I have people suggest oils for hair fall so medically there is no improvement after applying oils?
and should I go for Hair spa for hair strengthening n repair or its just terms to sell things in market?
please guide so many products and so many things in market

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hair falll

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You may add ProteinX powder in your milk. It is a protein powder (comes in chocolate flavor) and would help replenish protein deficiency. Moreover, since hair is all protein i.e keratin, therefore body protein deficiency can manifest as hair loss.
The serums I suggested are safe and effective for hair. They are not harmful to hair.
Oil applications and hair massage are traditionally recommended by elders in XXXXXXX but it has no proven role. Most of the dermatologists discourage oil application on scalp. I rather suggest a good hair conditioner after shampoo rather than oil. Hair spa and straightening are damaging for the hair. They involve use of chemicals that distort the hair structure and thus make the hair weak.
Cap. Dexorange Or Cap. Fefol Z are both iron supplements. However they are available on prescription.

Follow-up: Suggest medication to treat hair fall, hair thinning and breakage 16 hours later
Thanks I bought bontress hair serum u told me 2ml for application but how many times I need to apply this and wash my hair every alternate day?so 1 night before washing I apply or daily I apply this ?
Bontress i m able to get from XXXXXXX .
Also conditioner if u can suggest ?
Thanks once agian

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hair fall

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Use the serum once every night.
Don't need to shampoo daily. You may shampoo every alternate days. You may use L'oreal or Dove hair conditioner.

Follow-up: Suggest medication to treat hair fall, hair thinning and breakage 2 days later
Can I use the attached picture conditioner?
Also shampoo I should use anaphase ?
Until when I have to do this I mean any XXXXXXX limit like 1 month or so?
Or until hair fall control I can use?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hair conditioner and shampoo

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You may use any simple conditioner - L'oreal, Garnier or Dove instead of hair oil... Not necessarily a color saving one.
Anaphase shampoo can be used as a regular shampoo for as long as you want to.