Suggest treatment for lumbar spondylosis

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I am suffering from severe low and mid back pain. My scanning report says, early stage of lumbar spondylosis. Doctor has advised me excercise regularly. When I exercise, I feel ok. But it just give me temporary relief. I was also trying homeopathy R11 and R73 from Dr.Reckeweg. Off late, I am getting knee pain and as such started to have leg soup every day.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If no pain relief then epidural injection therapy

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Most probable reason for your symptoms could be postural problem as you may be sitting for long time and working on computer for long time.

Thats good that your MRI scanning only says early lumbar spondylosis with out disc bulge.

Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- Spine extension exercises, Lying on your stomach flat lift leg 6 inches from ground, do it for other leg.
Now lift both hand and leg simultaneously, 6 inch off the ground and stay
Position for around 10 breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help.

You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case.

Some life style modifications to prevent pain– Take break every 40 min from computer and do some lumbar rotation, stretches, walk and get back to work. Sit with taking support to your back, and do not watch television constantly.
I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

If no pain relief then epidural injection therapy may help to reduce pain.
Also check in your MRI for facet arthropathy.

Knee pain can be radiation of pain from spine or it can be early knee osteoarthritis.Further knee investigation will help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you find this answer helpful do not hesitate to rate this answer at end of discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 6 hours later
I forgot to mention that I also tried some ayurvedic massages. I have been doing suryanamaskar and back bending exercise. can I continue with this exercises and homepathy medicines? I was told this is a permanent damage and there is no cure, is it true.

Also, how much does the epidural injection therapy cost and recommeded hospitals in XXXXXXX

Thanks for your valuable time.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 39 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

You should avoid forward bending if it gives pain.So in suryanamaskar you may need to do only spine extension postures.

Yes you can do exercises and take homeopathic medication.

Degenerative changes are over long period of time,they are not always dangerous.
At age of 35 if you take appropriate action there will not be future problem.

Epidural injection cost may vary according to centers ,usually between 6 to 10 k.You can consult orthopaedic/spine surgeon in XXXXXXX