Suggest treatment for loose stool and stomach pain in child
Pl let me know how many days to be continued with these medicines n whether these are right medicine for this symptoms .
You can continue it for 4-5 days.
Thanks for the query
The bacygyl N contains norfloxacin and metronidazole and it is used in infective diarrhea.The common cause of loose motion in this age is food poisoning and this combination of antibiotic covers well, the organism causing diarrhea.
5 ml of bacygyl N contains 100 mg of norfloxacin and the dose of norfloxacin is 10-15 mg/kg/day. The average weight of a child of 7 years is around 20 kgs so 10 ml twice a day(200 mg/day i.e. 10mg/kg/day) is adequate.
Stoamch pain is usually due to intestinal spasm and for this drotaverin or dicyclomine works well.This is a prescription medicine and please get it prescribed by a physician.
I would like to continue the junior lanzole to combat gastritis if any.
Most of the time these medications need to be given for 4-5 days.
The main aim of management in loose stool is to give plenty of fluids(ORS) to prevent dehydration.
Giving probiotic and zinc helps in early recovery.
Observe for the signs of dehydration like lethrgy/irritability or decrease urinary frequency.If you notice any of this consult your doctor immediately.
Forgot to tell that the loose stool is having mucus .
will Bacygyl also work for this also ? Minimum how many days to be given ( twice a day )?
Should I not give Mucane gel whenever he is having stomac pain ?
I am also giving Vizylac alongwith these medicine ?
What should be the diet ( food) during this time ?
Thanks for the follow up.
Presence of mucus in stool can be due to protozoal infection,the metronidazole covers these organism well.I would like to give the medicine at least for 5 days.
Vizylac contains probiotic.Addition of zinc will help in early recovery.
As you are already giving junior lanzole I dont think mucaine gel is needed.
There is transient loss of inner absorptive layer of gut during diarrhea or dysentery.Due to this reason high fiber diet,high protein diet(thick dal,meat,egg,chicken) , fat (ghee,oil)and lactose containing foods(milk) should be avoided.Avoid high sugar containing juice and carbonated beverages as it increases flatulence.Giving rice with curd,khichdi,banana,mashed potato is good to be given.
I hope this answers your query.
If you have any more query I shall be happy to help you.If you don't have any doubt please close the discussion and rate it.
Kindly let me know
1. Sometimes my son telling that he is having stomac pain . What medicine should I give n how many times & dose & days ? Junior Landzol or Mucane gel ?
2. How much time it would take for my son to recover fully ?
3. Can I give Glucose water during this time
4. What medication should I give him to improve his digestion power & also body defence mechanism as He falls in sick frequently ( throat infection , cough n cold , cold allergy , indigestion , loss of appetite ) . his weight is near to 24kg ? is it ok at this age ?
5. from when should I start giving proper meal (protein n fat diet ) ?
Welcome again in the follow up
1)In case of occasional stomach pain I would like to give Dicyclomine(colicaid/coiad) or drotaverine(Drotin) as and when required.Most of the time the pain is due to transient spasm of the intestine and these medicine works well in this condition.Both of these are prescription medicine and get it prescribed by a pediatrician.If pain is severe or persistent get him clinically evaluated by a pediatrician rather than treating yourself.
2)In case of dysentery the usual time for recovery is 3-7 days.
3) Pure glucose water is not recommended in case of loose stools as this may cause electrolyte imbalance. Better to give ORS with plain water in between.
4)The average weight of a child of 7 years old is about 20 kg.I won't be overly worried regarding nutrition if the weight is 24 kgs.Children are prone to recurrent illness infective or allergic.If these illnesses need hospital admission or there is improper growth investigation should be done to find out any immunodeficiency.There are medications available to increase the appetite but its side effect outweighs the benefit.So I don't recommend appetite stimulant.
Papaya is a good fruit to increase the appetite(it contains papain enzyme).
5) Once his bowel pattern become regular you can start the normal diet.
I hope this answers your query.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Loose stools with upper left stomach pain
- Dull stomach pain with loose stool
- Stomach pain without vomiting just loose stools
- Boutschills bile upper stomach pain loose stools
- Loose stools with stomach pain what is the reason
- Suffering from excessive gas, loose stools and stomach pain
- Slight head ache stomach pains loose stool
- Stomach pain loose stools watery rumbling stomach what is wrong
- Symptoms acid reflux stomach pains loose stools
- Stomach pain grumbling and loose stool