• question-icon

Suggest treatment for lightheadedness and dehydration

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm a 57-yr-old female in good health. 5'2", 115#, exercise regularly. Had a terrible virus last week, but Urgent Care said rest/fluids, which I've been doing, and it seems to be almost gone. It's been very hot here in Northern CA lately, so I'm laying low and drinking lots of fluids for that, too. Nonetheless I'm feeling light-headed, weak, slightly unsteady and this morning experienced dry heaves for about 5". Could these synptoms be dehydration? I'm hesitant to drive, to get to the ER, but it feels as if whatever I've got isn't abating. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take as much electral as possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Thanks for query.

Yes the symptoms are mostly because of dehydration. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalalance is responsible for these symptoms.

Easiest way is to go to nearest ER and get fluids like DNS, RL etc administered intravenously. This would help to restore all electrolytes level to normal with in few hours.

But in case you are reluctant get Electral solution(ORS) and drink as much as possible, 1 glass every hour.

Take lots of orange juice and coconut water also

The earlier the fluids and electrolytes are replenished the faster would be recovery.
Drink as much as you can.

Let me know if I could assist you further.
Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
How long shall I give myself the home cure before I should consider a trip to the ER? Been 4+ hrs since I started drinking water w/ Himalyan salt and Gatorade and I'm not noticing any improvement yet.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
You should try medication at home for minimum of three days.
Medications advice are-
Tab imodium 4mg twice daily for 3 days.
Tab Econorm(probiotic) twice daily.
Electral solution(250ml ) every 12 or 2 hours for 3 days.
You would feel much better in 24 hours.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist