Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for leg ulcers when suffering from Peripheral artery disease

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 677 Questions
I have been diagnosed with PAD. i AM 82 Years old. I have an a large ulcer on my lower right leg. I have had it for a week now and it doesn"t seem to change. Am I going to have this ulcer forever? It is about 11/2 inches wide. My doctor did not give me any instructions as far as the sore is concerned. He told me to stay as active as possible. I would like to know if I should apply dressing or medicine on it. I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Dressing and medicine will certainly help. Detailed Answer: Hello Mr. Wayman. Thanks for posting your query. I understand your concern and I appreciate your initiative to seek help. A person with Peripheral artery disease is prone to develop ulcers in the lower legs due to insufficient blood supply to the extremities. PAD can be very debilitating, that said, if you take good care of the ulcer, it will heal in some time, it will take longer than usual as the blood supply is diminished. Staying active will improve blood circulation is the legs thereby promoting healing. Please do do the dressing and apply mupirocin ointment or Povidone Iodine solution to the wound to prevent infection from spreading. This will most certainly help. Sincerely hope this information will be of use to you. Please do write back if you need any clarifications. Wishing you speedy recovery and good health. Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor