Suggest treatment for leg cramps

Posted on Sat, 6 Sep 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: How can I stop nightly leg cramps? They come out of nowhere. I have PAD.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stretching and hot water compression to extremity

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
After going through your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Associated peripheral vascular disease would limit blood supply and cause cramps. Before sleeping, slight massage of the leg muscles, or additionally stretching or exercise with cycles, should improve it. Hot water compression to extremity can also be used.

2. Supplements rich in potassium like banana, dates, raisins or grapes would also help.

3. Additionally you should try nutritional supplements rich in Vit B12 and magnesium.

4. You should try the above for a month and then other medications can be added based on requirement.

5. Avoid increased water consumption especially in nights, as it can wake you more to go to bathroom. Day time, you can take.

Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist