Suggest treatment for labral tear and pain in hips

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had a Labrel tear and a hip impigment for the last 2 yrs on my right side without any real problems except the minor hip pains assocuated with that conditon, One night while laying down The other hip made a snapping noise like a series of pops and then alot of pain the next day along with low back pain. I went to my orthopidest who gave me a shot of cortizone and that took care of the back pain for awhile. MRI Revealed another torn Labruim now on left side along with Tendonopathy

The question is that since this has happned on both sides. My back Pain which I never had before has went from 0 - 9 Pain leval. is it possible That when the second Labreal tear happned it was too much for the back to handle. and now this intense back pain has started as a result of the second Labreal Tear. as a result, ? the pain happened the very next day after the tear happeed and came back as soon as the shot wore off

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is less likely that labral tear of hip will lea

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
You history suggest early arthritis.
Pain along hip joint indicates possibility of early hip arthritis.
It is less likely that labral tear of hip will lead to sudden onset of back pain.
Spine pain can be due to spinal nerve compression.MRI spine will help to diagnose the condition.
This can be weight related also.
Till time take analgesic and cartilage protecting medication like glucosamine sulphate.
For hip arthritis joint flexion, extension and rotation exercises will help.
Physiotherapist will help you better to learn more exercises in proper protocol.
You may need PT for more time.

If required you may need another steroid shot.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 24 minutes later
There was also a diagnoses of Insertional Tendinopathy made along with the second labrel tear, Could That be casuing the back Pain, As Thats when The pain in the back had started . Is there is connection between back pains and Insertional Tendinopathy with peritrochanteric edema

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no relation between the two

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Insertional tendinopathy may lead to hip pain and limping on walking, but less likely to cause back pain.

Pain at that point may be started due to strain on back muscle due to limping gait.

There is no relation between hip insertional tendinopathy and back pain.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E