Suggest treatment for ketoacidosis

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I suffered from ketoacidosis 4 days ago I didn't go to the hospital. I treated it at home with lots of water and Gatorade. The ketones came back to normal level after the 2nd day. I have had uncontrolled diabetes for 17 years. After the ketoacidosis I am left with tingling or maybe considered pain. Could this be after effects from the ketoacidosis or something else. I had blood pressure done a week ago and dr. said it was excellent.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need hospital care/ evaluation in hospital

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Thank you for posting a question here. Diabetes related ketoacidosis is a severe condition and has to be treated in hospital if moderate or severe. Many people with uncontrolled diabetes have ketosis ( positive urine ketones) but no acidosis. Ketosis and ketoacidosis are two different things. Ketoacidosis is usually diagnosed after doing a blood gas analysis.

Comimg o your question, uncontrolled diiabetes can cause neuropathy and related pain. Ketosis and ketoacidosis can worsen the neuropathy. An associated infection or inflammation also need to be ruled out. Electrolyte abnormalities and dehydration associated with ketosis can also exacerbate an existing neuropathy. You may need some blood and urine tests beyong the sugar tests you are dong at home. I would strongly recommend meeting your doctor or an ER doctor to be on the safer side.
regards
Binu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D