Suggest treatment for irritation in the ear caused by an infection

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: A lot of discharged from my ears. A lot. Ears become red and irritated as I use tissue to absorb clear drainage
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ear infection otitis externa

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that you are having discharge from your ears. This in more than likely due to otitis externa or swimmers ear. This is caused by the pH in the ear canal changing allowing for bacteria and fungus to grow. I would recommend that you first see your medical provider and get ear drops to stop the infection. Second you MUST keep water out of your ear, especially while bathing. I recommend taking a cotton ball and put some vaseline in the cotton and then place that in the ear to give a water tight plug. If that does not work then getting ear plugs for swimmers will also help keep the water out. But to completely recover you need to keep any water from entering your ear canal.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 11 minutes later
What medicine can I get over the counter? I do not have health insurance and can not go to a doctor.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vosol

Detailed Answer:
You maybe able to purchase an ear drop called acetic acid otic solution OTC. If you can't get acetic acid otic solution or any other OTC swimmers ear medication then you can just use 2 drops of white vinegar. The white vinegar will cause the pH of the ear to return to normal. Give that a chance but the best treatment is just keeping water out of the ear.