Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for irritable bowel syndrome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6182 Questions
How can I cure Irritable bowel syn.?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Irritable bowel syndrome cannot be cured but, be managed so that the symptoms do not become debilitating and interfere with your daily activities. This is because the exact cause of this condition is not known yet and talking of complete treatment is difficult and not feasible at this time given the existing evidence.

You can successfully control mild signs and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome by learning to manage stress and making changes in your diet and lifestyle. Try to avoid foods that trigger your symptoms. Also try to get enough exercise, drink plenty of fluids and get enough sleep.

If the symptoms are so severe, we can recommend various medications that have shown to be helpful in a good number of clients at controlling the symptoms. This entails making dietary adjustment and trying medications.

Dietary choices vary from patient to patient. keeping a food journal would help identify friendly and unfriendly meals. This would guide you in making choices as to what to eat and what not to eat.

For drugs, they depend on the nature of your symptoms. If you get diarrhea, we can propose anti diarrhea drugs, for constipation, fibers, etc. This means that a detailed investigation of your symptoms is needed.

The best specialist to talk to would be a gastroenterologist. However, IBS requires a multidisciplinary approach.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor