Suggest treatment for irritable bowel syndrome

Question
How can I cure Irritable bowel syn.?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Irritable bowel syndrome cannot be cured but, be managed so that the symptoms do not become debilitating and interfere with your daily activities. This is because the exact cause of this condition is not known yet and talking of complete treatment is difficult and not feasible at this time given the existing evidence.

You can successfully control mild signs and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome by learning to manage stress and making changes in your diet and lifestyle. Try to avoid foods that trigger your symptoms. Also try to get enough exercise, drink plenty of fluids and get enough sleep.

If the symptoms are so severe, we can recommend various medications that have shown to be helpful in a good number of clients at controlling the symptoms. This entails making dietary adjustment and trying medications.

Dietary choices vary from patient to patient. keeping a food journal would help identify friendly and unfriendly meals. This would guide you in making choices as to what to eat and what not to eat.

For drugs, they depend on the nature of your symptoms. If you get diarrhea, we can propose anti diarrhea drugs, for constipation, fibers, etc. This means that a detailed investigation of your symptoms is needed.

The best specialist to talk to would be a gastroenterologist. However, IBS requires a multidisciplinary approach.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.