Suggest treatment for irregular vaginal spotting while on birth control pills

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi, I am currently having irregular spotting. I am 18, on birth control, and not suppose to have my period for another week and a half but I am having spotting. It isn't blood either it is brown and clumpy. I did accidentally miss taking a pill but that was over a week ago. There is no way I can be pregnant and I am just worried that I need to go to a doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be breakthrough bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The mild brownish spotting that you are having can be related to the pill you missed a week ago or it can be a breakthrough bleeding. If you have missed just one pill from this pack then pregnancy is not likely. This spotting will gradually stop on its own. No need to worry.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng