Suggest treatment for insect bite dermatitis around ankle

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: 9 days ago I had a few insect bites around my ankle. I was on the beach and land on lake XXXXXXX in Ohio. I developed a rash in the area around the bites. I had two bites on my ankle about an 8th of an inch apart and one bite 3-1/2 inches higher on my ankle. The rash around the two bites is now about 1-3/4 inches across by 1 inch high and the rash around the single bite is about 1/2 inch in diameter. There is not a bullseye pattern. The rash is raised bumps similar looking to ecxema (i have two photos to upload). What could it be and how should I treat this?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Insect bite dermatitis , start treatment soon

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached pictures .
You surely seem to have developed lesions of insect bite dermatitis .
Since the allergic reaction seems to be severe, you should start intake of an antihistamine tablet like tablet claritin once a day or you can take benadryl in the adult dosage.
Also you need to mix and apply a topical steroid cream like cortisone and a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin over the affected areas twice a day.
Keep the affected area clean and dry.
Do not apply any other cream or oil over it. Wear cotton clothes so as to avoid any further friction.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj