question-icon

Suggest treatment for inflamed lymph nodes in abdomen and IBS

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: I have IBS. About 6 months ago, I was diagnosed with inflamed lymph nodes in my abdomen with no known cause and it just disappeared. Lately, I have been having these same sharp, stabbing pains in my abdomen with changes in bowel movements (frequency and consistency). The other day, it looked like someone threw the remnants from the dryer lint trap in the toilet. Do I need to schedule an appointment with my physician? (The past month has seen increased stress, sleeplessness and irregular meals). I am a 48 year old female who was diagnosed with IBS over 20 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Symptoms suggestive for viral gastroenteritis/IBS...

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

Having sharp, stabbing pain in abdomen with changes in bowel movements are suggestive for possible:
- viral gastroenteritis (stomach bug)
- IBS

I advise to:
- continue taking pepto bismol if you have frequent and loose bowel movements
- continue consuming more water with ORS
- take probiotics to normalize intestinal flora
- have light meals (e.g. yogurt, soups, etc)

If the symptoms and pain won't subside within a few days, then, you can schedule an appointment with your physician.

If the pain will be unbearable, then, can go to ER for immediate evaluation and treatment.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini