Suggest treatment for inability to move arm after treatment of acute myelitis

Posted on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello,

My daughter is 33 months and has been diagnosed with Acute Myelitis on July29.

Initial MRI showed infected spine from C2 - T8
Second MRI after 3 doses of below Steroids showed infected area from C2-C8.

Affected Areas in the body:-
- Right arm no movement at all.
- Left arm just able to move fingers and wrist.
- Neck is very weak.

We got her treated at Childrens Hospital of Wisconsin, USA below medication
- 7 doses of MethylPREDNISolone Steriods,
- 5 doses of IVIG (Immune Globulin).
- 4 procedures of plasma exchange and one more is due tomorrow.

After all the above treatment she is now able to move her left arm till her elbow, no movement on the right arm and no movement with her shoulders. She is dong good with her legs, breathing has picked up and her personality is back (she laughing and playing around on a wheel chair).

Drs have done all the tests and everything came back negative. They are not able to tell what was the cause. I would like to know if there is any other medication other than OT and PT at this stage?
Will OT and PT help her recover her right arm? Have you seen any such cases were patients improved a lot with PT and OT?
Is there any ayurvedic therapy that is recommended that helps for such diagnosis?

Thanks a lot for the reply and looking forward for some suggestions and guidance.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
She has received correct treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted the symptoms, diagnosis and treatment received so far, for your little daughter.

I am glad that she is making a good recovery after the best possible treatment for this condition. The usual causes are viral infection and auto-immune demyelination. Methylprednisolone, plasmapheresis and IVIG are usual treatments.

As of now, no further medication is needed, as this is a monophasic condition, and there is no recurrence once it improves.

She would make a good recovery over time with OT and PT.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 hours later
Thanks for your reply Dr. XXXXXXX

Drs here mention that her 'Grey' matter of the spine (C2-C8) are severely affected so, she might have very less recovery from this point.

She is not able to move her right arm and shoulders.

Will she recovery completely with OT and PT (or) what percentage will she recover?

Will she be able to move her right arm is the main concern for us?

Have you seen any similar cases (same age group) and how it recovered for them?

We as a parents of 3 yr old are really worried about her future and poor girl we want her to recover completely.

Drs also say some neurons might have been dead and hence completely recovery is less likely. What is the chance that neurons get reconnected and she recover completely as she is just 3yr? is her age being 3 a good thing or bad thing in such cases?

Thanks a ton! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Complete recovery is unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

She is unlikely to completely recover with OT and PT. Exact percentage of recovery can not be guessed.

She may be able to move her right arm over time.

I have seen several cases, and recovery differs in them based on the extent of nerve damage and treatment received.

Age 3 is a good thing as recovery chances are more in a smaller child. Let us hope for the best and continue with best OT and PT.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 27 hours later
Thanks for your reply Dr. Do you think considering any ayurvedic treatment therapy (like something in Kerala) would be a good option for better results?
Do you have any references for such therapy with whom i can talk to?

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ayurvedic therapy may help

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Ayurvedic therapy may help. Kottakkal XXXXXXX Vaidya sala (aryavaidyasala.com) is the most well known in XXXXXXX

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist