Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have always had a poor to no sense of smell except when I was pregnant. As soon as the baby was born, my sense of smell disappeared again. I would like to know if might be related to my pituitary gland. I have been treated for hypothyroidism for ten years and have taken synthroid. The symptoms that are supposed to be alleviated by the medication have never gone away. Might there be a pituitary issue rather than a thyroid issue that is behind both my lack of a sense of smell (and diminished taste) AND what had been diagnosed as hyprothyroidism?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid more likely than pituitary to be the cause,you need a dose revision

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Very honestly speaking, I have come across patients with thyroid abnormalities who have at times either loss of smell or taste (rarely both), but never patients who have a pituitary issue that has caused a loss of either smell or taste or both.

In my opinion, your thyroid issue could more likely be the culprit than your pituitary. I would also like to point out that if it were your pituitary, trust me the associated symptoms would be quite obvious and a pituitary cause is rarely ever missed.

But I would also like you to know that if your thyroid related symptoms have never improved or subsided to a more comfortable level, and your sense of smell and taste have never normalised I do believe you need to revisit your doctor for a revision in your synthyroid dosage. It is very important to note that even in medical textbooks it states that finding the right dosage can take anywhere from 1-6 months.

You also need to make sure you follow the thyroid diet in which you need to exclude a number of food items from your diet. But the most important aspect of your particular case is the dosage, which I am sure requires a revision and your doctor needs to look into it.

I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D