Suggest treatment for hyperthyroidism

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am a 55 year old woman with 6 thyroid nodules. A needle biopsy of 2 resulted in benign cysts. I have been diagnosed with Thyroglossal Duct Cysts following a CAT scan. I have no visible or physical symptoms in fact the cyst were discovered by chance. I have suffered with alopecia since the age of 7 and lost all hair from hairline to ears with no valuable treatment from dermatologists. I have had strangely occurring medical symptoms throughout the years but they always seemed to disappear without any real medical professional care. I have also be diagnosed with HyPERthyroidism due to a low TSH, although it is not significantly low. Are my symptoms related and what are the benefits of having/not having surgery for the TGDC?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroglossal duct cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Thyroglossal duct cyst and thyroid gland cysts are both different entities. Duct cyst is a congenital anamoly and needs to vmbe operated only if infected or any sudden change in size is observed or very large cosmetically.
thyroid gland cysts if are benign on fnac needs not to be operated unless any sudden change in size or very large enough to cause breathing problems.
In your case you should take medicine to treat hyperthyroidism even if it is mild until the levels are normal.
Alopecia can be due to hyperthyroidism but as you have it since birth, it is probably not related to thyroid disease.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 5 hours later
Do I correctly understand that surgery is not required if I have 6 Thyroglossal duct cyst with no pain or visible signs of a lump and that no treatment is required?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroglossal cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thyrohlossal cyst is a single cyst. You are probably talking about thyroid gland cysts which are multiple. In both cases surgery is not required until there are any changes observed as mentioned earlier.
You should take medicine for low TSH.
You are always welcome with any questions in future.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad