Suggest treatment for hip pain

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Cancer
Question: I have hip pain. I am very compromised in my mobility. I walk with a limp and cannot run. I am very embarrassed to have people see me in this condition. I have always taken care of myself. I eat healthy food and take supplements. I exercise and work hard. I had a doctor in florida give me ozone injections. they did not work. that was 2000 dollars not well spent. I have considered stem cells that some doctors promote. many doctors have different treatments and they often clash with their opinions. I have relatives that have had hip replacements. that is obviously my last option but I do not want spend thousands of dollars to no benefit and then possibly still need surgery. I have no insurance. I will always keep an open mind. please help and share your experience

should an x ray be enough to determine if my cartlilage is damaged beyond repair. most doctors say cartililage will not rebuild and heal by itself. my hips are my only joints that bother me.

I have hip pain. I am very compromised in my mobility. I walk with a limp and cannot run. I am very embarrassed to have people see me in this condition. I have always taken care of myself. I eat healthy food and take supplements. I exercise and work hard. I had a doctor in florida give me ozone injections. they did not work. that was 2000 dollars not well spent. I have considered stem cells that some doctors promote. many doctors have different treatments and they often clash with their opinions. I have relatives that have had hip replacements. that is obviously my last option but I do not want spend thousands of dollars to no benefit and then possibly still need surgery. I have no insurance. I will always keep an open mind. please help and share your experience
Answered by Dr. Monish De 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
buprenorphine transdermal patch

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since you are having severe hip pain i would advise buprenorphine 20 mg transdermal patch for you.

The patch is to be applied to a dry, non-irritated, non-hairy area of your skin on your upper body such as your chest, upper back, or the outside of your arms. Leave it in place for seven days and then remove it and replace it with a new patch, but apply the replacement patch to a different area of skin on your upper body. Avoid using the area from where you have removed the patch for at least three weeks. Continue to replace your patches once a week, on the same day of the week.

I would also recommend magnetic resonance imaging(MRI) of your lower back.

Hope i have answered your query.

DR De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 21 hours later
can these patches be purchased at a drug store without a doctors prescription. I know body parts are interrelated but what could a mri of my back reveal. I am worried about doing more damage to my joints so I have cut back on my activities. what can I safely do without causing harm
Answered by Dr. Monish De 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
doctors prescription needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You will need a doctors prescription for the purchase buprenorphine 20 mg transdermal patch.

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of your lower back will show if there is any injury to your cartilage, tendons, ligaments and bones.

You can also relieve hip pain is by holding ice to the area for about 15 minutes a few times a day. Try to rest the affected joint as much as possible until you feel better.

You can avoid doing more damage to your joints by avoid sitting in low chairs as this bends the hip a lot and might give you more pain, by not carrying heavy weights. U can use a trolley when you go shopping if carrying a basket is uncomfortable and by using a walking stick to make walking easier. Use the stick on the opposite side to your painful hip and by weight reduction if you are overweight.

If you have no more clarifications then please rate the answer and close the thread.

DR De

Follow up: Dr. Monish De 18 hours later
I have had no success with joint building supplements and the only exercises and movements I can do without feeling intense pain in my hips would be in a swimming pool. it is very difficult for me to put my left shoe and sock on. are there other recommendations I can be doing simultaneously with the patch? I have several friends with similar issues. the only product we all benefited from was reumofan plus which was supposed to be all natural but could have questionable ingredients so we all stopped taking it. will the patch you suggested give me long term healing results or a temporary masking of the pain? what expectations and experiences should I have? I am desperate enough to try almost anything now. this ailment has been with me way too long.
Answered by Dr. Monish De 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
long term healing results

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The buprenorphine transdermal patch will give you long term healing results.
U need to change the patch after 7 days and replace with a new one.

Buprenorphine is a type of strong opioid. It works on your nervous system and brain to reduce the way you feel pain. It is used for chronic or long-term pain. The patches release buprenorphine slowly and evenly over several days.

The only side effects of this patch are constipation and feeling dizzy, sleepy or drowsy, blurred vision.

For prevention of constipation eat a well-balanced diet and drink plenty of water each day.

As it causes drowsiness do not drive or use tools or machines. Do not drink alcohol .

Do not use the patch if you are having any breathing problems, such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or if you have been told you have low blood pressure

Dr De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 33 hours later
I am a professional driver. your suggestion of the patch will not work with those possible side effects. I am still worried about bone loss or cartilage damage that needs regeneration and repair and not a brain deception. pain should not be ignored. I do not want a different or more intense injury
Answered by Dr. Monish De 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
prolotherapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since you are a professional driver then you can go for prolotherapy for your hip pain

It stimulates the body to repair painful areas. Chondrocytes are mature cartilage cells whose immature version is called chondroblast. Chondroblast can actually replicate proliferate and generate new cartilage when injured.

It induces mature chondrocytes, the cartilage cells to a chondroblastic state capable of proliferation and repair and create more cartilage.

It is the only treatment found to stimulate cartilage repair and regeneration.It offers the most curative result in treating chronic hip pain.

Warm Regards
DR De
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 16 hours later
I have not heard of this treatment and I have my ears open for everything and anything. is chondroblast an external application or a supplement you swallow? I want a doctor that specializes and has a lot of experience with this type of healing. I live in Michigan half a year and florida the other half. who do you know that you can recommend? thank you
Answered by Dr. Monish De 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
series of injections

Detailed Answer:
Hi

U can get in touch with Dr. Krasnick in Michigan who has specialized training in prolotherapy.His has a website named http://www.prp-prolotherapy.com.

A chondroblast is a cell which originates from a mesenchymal stem cell and forms chondrocytes, commonly known as cartilage cells. Its presence help in proliferation and repair of injured cartilage cells.

In prolotherapy treatment, a substance is injected using a slender needle next to the site where soft tissue is injured or has torn away from the bone.
The substance used in the prolotherapy injection is a natural irritant agent like dextrose or glucose or sodium morrhuate.

The agents are typically used with a local anesthetic like lidocaine, procaine, or marcaine.

Prolotherapy involves a series of injections, on average 4 to 10 depending on the back condition and the individual being treated. The prolotherapy injection series may cover 3 to 6 months with injections at 2 to 3 week intervals.

DR De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D