Suggest treatment for high stress and anxiety

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 55 white male. I am overweight. I do not smoke or drink. I have a very high stress job. lately I have been experiencing what I call soft serve ice cream stool. Ive been having to go to restroom at least 3 times per day. my anus is irritated because of the constant wetness due to the soft stool. I have an uncle on my fathers side that had colon cancer. I've had two colonoscopy test since age 50. my colon has been extraordinarily clear each time. last time was about two years ago. what do you think from my symptoms may be my problem. ps I've been trying to lose weight and eat more lean meats and vegetables and lately I've been craving milk. ive consumed about two gallons in the last three weeks. my stool is thinner than normal but still slightly firm like soft serve probably the thickness of a man's thumb
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Overstimulation of autonomous nervous system.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HCM.
Have gone through your details.
As you said you have very high levels of stress and anxiety.Stress and anxiety stimulates the autonomous nervous system especially a nerve called vagus.Over stimulation of vagus nerve increases the peristalysis(bowel moments),hence frequency of stool increases and they are usually not well formed.Its not exactly irritable bowel syndrome but it can be termed as mild irritable bowel syndrome at present.
I would advice you to take low dose benzodiazepenes for few days,These drugs lower the level of anxiety and hence will relax vagus.
Start taking a good quality probiotic for a few weeks,this will improve digestion which will lead to well formed stools.
Apart from that
Take large amount of fibres in diet 30-40mg/day.
Eat lots of vegetable and fruits.
Include whole wheat,oat,and brown rice in diet.
Take small meals,Don't take large meals.

Follow up after a week!
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng