Is abdominal pressure with gas pain symptomatic of IBS?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello...wonderin.Please help. Thank you.g if this is an IBS symptom or something else. I was recently diagnosed with MS, I take omeprazole for GERD. The gastrointestinal doc said after having a colonosopy earlier this year I am fine...but I could have IBS. For the last few weeks, I have a feeling that isn't necessarily like a heart beat, but some kind of pulse or vibration? in my lower abdomen. and female area...not on the outside. It's a pressure...not pain. I have noticed a lot of gas pains this week however. On Friday I began taking doxycycline for an allergic reaction. I had this feeling before I began taking the doxycycline. No fever. i did have similar symptoms the beginning of September also. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Atypicak presentation of palpitations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Firstly thanks for selecting health care magic to ask your query.

The feeling ou are having is called palpitation.Palpitations can feel like the heart is fluttering, throbbing, flip-flopping, murmuring ,or pounding.However in some cases these sensations can be felt in abdomen stomach,limbs and head also.

1)Strong emotional responses, such as stress or anxiety-Extra-cardiac stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system (inappropriate stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system, particularly the vagus nerve (which innervates the heart), can be caused by anxiety and stress due to acute or chronic elevations in glucocorticoids and catecholamines hormones which can cause palpitations.

2)Over use of nicotine and caffeine.

3)Overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism)

4)Palpitation may be associated with electrolyte imbalances of magnesium, potassium and other salts in serum.

6)Gastrointestinal distress such as bloating or indigestion, along with muscular imbalances and poor posture, can also irritate the vagus nerve causing palpitations)

Suggestion-

I would prescibe you following tests
1) Thyroid profile- to rule out hyperthyroidism.
2)24 hour holter monitoring- will record the ECG continuously during a 24-hour or 48-hour period. If palpitation occurs during this period it will be recorded in ECG recording and we can rule out the cardiac rhythm at the time.

3) Serum electrolytes - a disturbance in serum electrolytes can cause palpitations , they can be corrected easily.

If you are a smoker give up smoking.
Don't take alcohol in excess.
Try to do 45 minutes of exercise daily.
If you are anxious person with elevated anxiety levels cardiologist will prescribe you with benzodiazepene to lower your anxiety.
Don't eat oily ,fatty and spicy food for some days.
Add fibres to your diet.

The above mentioned investigations are the basic test which can be helpful in finding out the cause of palpitations.
As prevention is always better then cure, i would suggest you to take the problem seriously.

In case you need more details or have any other query ,feel free to ask ,i would be happy to help you!
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 58 minutes later
I have had palptation before. 2 yrs ago I did have the halter monitor on me for 48hrs. I also had a stress test....both were relatively fine. I do have stress, but is it normal for this vibration feeling to be mostly constant,? I don't smoke, drink alcohol, eat too fatty or greasy food. It also kinda feels like my inside is coming out if I stand for a long time. I do have both my annual gyne appointment and gastro appointment for later in the month. I did just record my pulse moments ago. it was 72. it has been preyyt regular.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
could be a uterine prolapse in initial stages.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again my dear,
If feel it can be Uterine prolapse.It occurs when pelvic floor muscles and ligaments stretch and weaken and no longer provide enough support for the uterus.Patient has a feel that there is something creeping or moving inside.

Suggestion-
Trransvaginal ultrasound.

If problem is detected surgery would be done.

Thank you and have a good day ahead.