Suggest treatment for high fever while on Crocin

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 14 yrs old , high fever since today morning , 102 and above , currently 103 , should we give meftal P as have been giving crocin every 4 hrs and fever not coming down , symptoms point towards flu
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Antibiotics would not help and irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component.

If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol or acetaminophen (P-250, Crocin or Tylenol) to it bring down. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective.The minimum gap between two doses of Crocin is 4-6 hours. The doses of Crocin and Meftal P are independent of each other. Minimum gap between doses of Meftal P is 6-8 hours. However, I do not think that they would be needed to be used simultaneously. Also use tepid sponging.

Please be patient. Recovery will gradually occur.

Hopefully that would help. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.