• question-icon

Suggest treatment for high fever and sore throat in a teenager

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My child of age 13 years is having very high fever i.e. 104.5 degrees. How can i reduce it. It comes down to 103 when i do sponging but bounces back to 104. Paracetamol is also having no effect. She is having very sore throat and pain in the throat and its difficult to gulp food.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics should not be given unless blood tests definitely indicate in favour of the same. However, since you have started the antibiotics please complete the course. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. You would have to be patient till then.

If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol (P-650, Crocin or Calpol) to it bring down. Let me know his body weight and I will let you know how much dose is appropriate for him. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective. It is available both in tablet and syrup form. I will be able to suggest the dose once I get to know the body weight. The minimum gap between two doses of Crocin is 4-6 hours. The doses of Crocin and Meftal P are independent of each other. Minimum gap between doses of Meftal P is 6-8 hours.

Gurgling with lukewarm water should provide relief to the sore throat.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician