Suggest treatment for high GGT levels due to alcohol use

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: my GGT of liver is too high due to alcholol, which madicine will help me to reduce my GGT?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following suggestions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!

You are reporting that you have high GGT level due to alcohol use.
If you were my patient I would recommend to :
- stop alcohol use immediatly
- use sylimarine and Vitamine E
- avoid fatty foods
- increase physical activity

Moreover I would recommend to do GGT level after 6-8 of quiting alcohol .

Wish you all the best!
Dr.Klerida
p.s If you have more questions please feel free to contact me.
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 23 hours later
what is sylimarine? is it a company's name or contains name? will it be available in india?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Milk thistle (silymarin) is a flowering herb of the XXXXXXX and ragweed family, which grow in Mediterranean countries. Some people also call it XXXXXXX thistle and holy thistle.

As you can see it's a natural product and you may found it in XXXXXXX You may found it under the name of Limarin capsules 140 mg two times a day.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 32 hours later
thankz but i can't live alcohol so i want madicine for that

i am not able to live alcohol any other way to reduce GGT ?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

I know that it is difficult to quit alcohol but let me explain again:

1. Since that the cause of your high GGT level is alcohol, then the first step that you must do is to avoid it.

You can start to decrease the amount of alcohol per week gradually and not in rapidly way.

2. To my opinion it would be e good choice if you consult an Addiction specialist. He will help you to quit alcohol under medication and psychotherapy.

3. Otherwise, if you will not quit alcohol than you should continue the medication mentioned above( sylimarine plus Vit E), but the effectiveness of them will decrease a lot.

Wish you all the best!

Dr.Klerida