What do these AST and ALT values indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 5 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had Life Screenings done for Liver Enzymes last month. The AST came back at 91 and the ALT came back at 25. Should I get retested? Should I be concerned? I drink two beers a month and weigh 200 and am 6`2`` tall. I work out 2 days a week. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Minimum three times the normal has any significance.

Detailed Answer:
Hello my dear patient,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

See mild to moderate fatty liver is very common after a age of 50 in males.As age of a person increases fat began's to accumulate in various parts of body like blood vessels(atherosclerosis) or liver(fatty liver),Its very natural and a part of process called ageing.Most likely cause of elevation of liver enzyme in your case is fatty changes in liver.
Secondly minimum three times elevation of liver function then normal range has any clinical significance.Mild to moderate elevation in a particular liver enzyme in a otherwise normal patient has no clinical value.

Suggestions-
Could be controlled by diet and exercise(however mild fatty liver has no significance in clinical practice).

Recommendation-
Vitamin c: it maintains the healthy blood vessels and maintain tissue matrix.

Vitamin e: it is a fat soluble vitamin which maintains healthy cell membrane as well as the prevention of inflammation.

Silibinin, also known as silybin, is the major active constituent of silymarin, a standardized extract of the milk thistle seeds, containing a mixture of flavonolignans consisting of silibinin, isosilibinin.It should be taken once a day .Its a very potent liver rejenuvator and is very effective in maintaining liver healthy.

But my suggestion is that as per your age its normal so don't panic about it.No repeat testing is required at present.
Hope i was helpful.
Keep enjoying your life dear.
Wish you a great day ahead.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad