Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for hiatal hernia in an elderly person

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 1671 Questions
I am 71, female & diagnosed several years ago with a hiatal hernia. I manage that simply by eating slowly & carefully.......which is also a very good technique for weight loss, happily. However, I frequently get hiccups & the frequency & intensity has increased quite a bit in the past 6months +/-. Is this a serious problem or just another benefit of aging?
Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Baclofen 10 mg sos would be very helpful(prescription medicine).

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

The exact mechanism underlying hiccups remains unknown. They can result from abnormalities of both the central and peripheral nervous systems. But unless and until they are intracable i dont think they are serious or need evaluation etc.
Easy way is whenever you feel like having hiccups take baclofen 10 mg stat or twice daily.
If hiccups responds to it it can be taken on sos basis.
However even if after using medication problem increases over months then an evaluation if central and peripheral nervous system can be done by a neurlogist.

Age is the biggest enemy of humans.As our age progresses our healthy cells their merabolism regeneration etc all are hampered.
So mild to moderate problem is usually age related and can be taken care of by proper medication.
Hope in was helpful dear.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor